Distracted Driving and Serious Injury Crashes
Distracted driving behavior is any activity that diverts a driver’s attention away from the crucial task of driving. It’s also a leading cause of vehicle accidents in Wisconsin and across the country.
We have all seen drivers texting at the wheel as they speed down Wisconsin roads and highways, drifting out of their lanes or driving in an unsafe manner. Wisconsin has a statewide ban on texting while driving and a ban on cellphone use but too many drivers disobey the law and serious or deadly crashes are the result.
A vehicle travelling at 55 mph covers the length of a football field in just five seconds. Reading or sending a text may take only a few seconds, but that period is fraught with danger for the driver, passengers, and other drivers who share the street or highway.
Many innocent motorists have lost their lives or been injured merely because another driver chose to read or send a text or email, or other distracted driving conduct. The NHTSA reports that 71 percent of teenage drivers and young adult drivers admit to composing or sending text message while driving.
Some of the most common driving behaviors that have led to serious or fatal accidents include:
- Cellphone conversations
- Eating and drinking
- Conversations with passengers
- Grooming (putting on makeup, combing hair, etc.)
- Use of digital navigation systems
- Watching a video
- Adjusting in-vehicle systems
A distracted driver could be operating any type of vehicle, including a car, truck, van, SUV, or even a tractor-trailer. A driver who has his or her attention focused on an in-vehicle system or their smartphone puts everyone sharing the road at extreme risk of an injury accident. Although there are national and statewide campaigns to raise awareness and reduce distracted driving accidents, numbers continue to rise.
Distracted Driving Accident? Gruber Law—One Call…That’s All!
At Gruber Law Offices, our professional legal team takes on personal injury cases involving distracted driving. Our founder, Attorney David Gruber, has been representing the injured for almost three decades and is the recipient of many honors and accolades, including being listed in Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and Super Lawyers® for 2013.
If you were injured in a Wisconsin car crash caused by a distracted driver, our car accident lawyers can help with the issues you’ll face. You will have the backing of our 80 member team of professionals, from our 16 attorney team to our paralegals, accident investigators, and medical experts.
- Your personal lawyer will explain your legal options to you in plain language.
- When tough insurance questions arise, we’ll handle them and deal with your adjuster for you.
- We will gather all necessary documents, including police reports, and medical files.
- We will investigate the other driver’s phone records to establish smartphone use while driving.
- We will file all legal documents to preserve your claim.
- We will be at your side when settlement negotiations begin. If we cannot reach a fair settlement, we will be ready to go to court on your behalf.
- We will make sure you get money for lost wages and your medical expenses. We’ll also seek money for your pain and suffering.
Our motto is “One Call…That’s All!” We put our clients first as we pursue justice for them. We work on a contingency fee, which means you do not pay unless we are successful.
We are prepared to speak with you today – contact us now! We have an office in Milwaukee and we help clients throughout Southeastern Wisconsin, including Kenosha, Madison, Racine, and Waukesha.